Monday, September 8, 2014

Into the Desert






How do we go about discerning God's direction and will in our lives? As Jolene and I were seeking God's direction this past year about starting a new church in Tucson we prayed and asked for discernment. Lots of it. We read the Bible, read books, talked to mentors, talked to God--a lot, and another thing I did was reflect on my past journal entries. They were quite revealing as to what God had placed on my heart, how he had created me, and when I most heard Him.

I came across this entry on December 11, 2012, a Tuesday, I wrote out my thoughts on Mark 1:12: "The Holy Spirit plays a direct role in the leading and guiding of people. Evidently Jesus was sensitive to the Spirit's voice and obeyed it. How often do I hear the Spirit's voice? Am I following it--even if it leads me into the desert?"

A short reflection which I could not get out of my head a year and half later. Would I follow even if it meant going to the "desert" became even more real.

The previous day in December 2012, I wrote about hearing God's voice (reflecting on Mark 1:11): "God confirmed who Jesus was at the moment of his baptism. At all of Jesus's big moments God, the Father, speaks--transfiguration, before the cross, He affirms His love. God has called us his sons and daughters and has affirmed His love for us as well. At times of obedience we hear His voice best. Jesus was being obedient and following God's purpose and hearing His voice."

I believe we go about discerning God's direction and will in our lives by first and foremost being obedient with what we do know. If we are wanting discernment in our marriages--lets begin by obeying His desire to love our spouse. If you want discernment with your career--begin by obeying His directive to work as if you are working for Him. If you don't know whether He wants you to follow the call to be a pastor--begin by obeying His command to love Him and love your neighbor.

It is amazing how simple obedience helps us to hear and know God's direction. And for me it is amazing to see how now He really is leading us into the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment